Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We have a baby!

Well, there you have it! Our first ultrasound! YAY! My appointment was at 2:45 yesterday afternoon. Jayson and I both left work a little early. We got there and had to wait for about 10 minutes before they called me back. That made me even more nervous! They finally called me back and got me set up for the ultrasound first. My doctor kept calling Jayson "Trey." So that is his new name now...ha! I finally had to correct him...I couldn't take it any more! It was an internal ultrasound (FUN!). When it first started, he freaked me out because he just stood there for a while and didn't say anything! Then he asked the nurse "Are you seeing what I'm seeing here?" OH MY WORD. I thought something was wrong. But then the nurse said "AW!" So I knew everything was okay. He pointed out the yolk sac, the gestational sac, and the umbilical cord. The cord was bigger than the baby! We also got to see the heartbeat fluttering away. He said at our next appointment we should be able to hear the heartbeat. I said "So there's only one in there, right?" And he said "Why? Were you expecting more than one?" And I told him about the history of twins in my family. He checked and double checked, and there is only one baby! Thank goodness! He measured the baby at 8 weeks, 3 days. I thought for sure I would be about 9 weeks. It is only a couple of days difference, though. And who knows...the baby could just be measuring small. After the ultrasound, he took us in his office for a "chat." He loves to do that. We sat in his office and he asked us about our family history and gave me a bag of goodies to take home. He also answered all of the questions that I had. He gave us a due date of Friday, October 16th. Yay for an October baby! After our chat, they took SIX vials of blood from me. I thought I was going to DIE. They took 3 huge vials and 3 small ones. Jayson asked what they were taking all the blood for and she said they were making sure I was healthy enough to carry a baby...checking for HIV, Hepatitis, etc. They are also determining my blood type since I have no clue. She also milked it for me and told Jayson "Now, since I've taken so much blood she probably can't cook or clean or anything like that for at least 3 days." I laughed. After the massive blood draw, our insurance info was explained to us...with a grand total of what the baby will cost us. Here comes another bill! They set us up on a payment plan starting next month. I will pay each month until I am about 7 months along. After that we should be set to go. My next appointment is April 9th at 3:45. That's when we will hear the heartbeat. He said we will know the gender of the baby at 18-19 weeks. So, that's only 10 weeks away! WOOHOO! Jayson dreamed that it was a girl. He said we both had to chew this gum...and if the gum turned blue it was a boy, and if it turned green it was a girl. Both of our pieces of gum turned GREEN. HA. Well, that is all for now. My weeks "switch over" on Fridays now, so the baby is still a raspberry for the time being. Tune in Friday to see what is next!

P.S. People can say the DUMBEST things while you are pregnant. Honestly. I was just told "Well, you don't look like you're pregnant." SERIOUSLY, people. I am 8 1/2 weeks along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling it's a girl too! But who knows? We will both know for sure in 10 weeks! YAY!